Sunday, December 29, 2013

My Fickle Luck

Luck, at least as it pertains to me, is an incredibly fickle beast. Usually, it works hard and makes all the major things in my life go very right, but when it comes to small day-to-day things, my luck can often be found sleeping on the job. As a result, I frequently experience a series of minor crises between major victories. Let me give you some examples.

In high school, I was lucky enough to graduate co-valedictorian of my class and get into my dream college, but I had a series of horrible suite mates while I was there, my Crohn's disease flared repeatedly due to stress, and I found out the hard way that the Podunk high school I graduated from didn't really prepare me academically for life at an Ivy League school. I graduated from my dream school and decided to take a year off before applying to law school, but I got a nasty infection while I was studying for the LSATs, wound up in the hospital for a week, never fully recovered, and needed a series of three surgeries.

Do you see what I mean by a series of minor crises between major victories? Graduating from my first choice college was a major victory, but nothing in those four years went quite according to plan. Surviving Apocalypse Crohn's was a major victory, but I spent an entire year so sick that I and everyone around me thought I would die. I am lucky to be alive, but the experience left me aged and haunted. It's like the universe wants me to have the things that are most important to me, but always, always, always there is a price.

Given my history with terrible day to day luck, I should have expected a few minor disasters on the road to my first marathon. Up to this point, I have dealt with knee issues, run some painfully slow miles, had stomach issues, and taken a nasty spill, but today's run was the worst disaster of all. I was planning to run 14 miles this afternoon. The weather was picture perfect and I felt great for the first couple of miles. I was almost to the greenway when I lost my footing on an uneven patch of sidewalk and rolled my ankle.

After taking a few steps to assess the damage, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be able to finish my run. A few more steps and I was pretty sure I was going to have trouble walking home. Every time I put weight on my foot a spot just below my ankle hurt. And of course, I left the house without money or a credit card so a cab was out of the question. I couldn't decide what to do so I called home. My mom told me to just call an ambulance, but I hated to do that since I really wanted to try ice and rest before I panicked and went to the emergency room. One of my aunts wound up calling a cousin who was in town for the day and she was able to drop me off at my building. I was really glad she was able to come get me because it would have taken me a really long time to hobble back home otherwise.

It has been several hours now and I'm fairly certain I'm not imagining the pain. I know it's hard to see in the picture, but I think the top of my foot is a little swollen. Plus, I had so much trouble putting weight on my foot after dinner that I cut up an old pair of stockings to make a makeshift compression wrap. Wrapping my foot helped a little, but I'll be getting it X-rayed tomorrow just to be safe. Maybe they'll tell me nothing serious is wrong. If I'm lucky, I'll have a functioning ankle just in time to have a major life victory and finish a marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment