Tuesday, April 29, 2014

That Time I Had a Nightmare About My Last Law School Exam And Lived To Tell About It

My dreams get crazy during exam period. Last year around this time I dreamed that I had adopted a bunch of micro piglets and set them free in my living room. About halfway through the dream I realized that I had had the piglets for ages and had never taken them outside to do their business. The dream ended after my horrified realization that if the piglets were not going outside to use the bathroom, they were clearly going under my couch. 

Given the piglet thing, I probably shouldn't be surprised that my exam period dreams have returned. Last night I dreamed that I was at school to take my last law school exam ever. I sat down at a table and for some reason this girl I can't stand sat beside me with several of her friends. Law school exams are almost always essay based and you take them on your laptop, but for some reason the proctor started passing out scantron sheets that were labeled with different letters. I didn't think that the letter really mattered at first, but I got a scantron labeled C and when the girl I don't like saw my letter she tried to wrestle my C scantron away from me. I won the scantron tussle before I woke up, but it was almost as weird as the piglet dream.

The dream was the precursor to a weird day when nothing went according to plan. I was supposed to wake up early, get in 10 or more miles of cycling, shower, head to school for an interview, have lunch, come home for a Skype interview, then spend the rest of my day outlining for my last exam. Instead, I woke up this morning and got about 1/4 of a mile from my apartment when the pedals of my bike locked up and refused to pedal. I was going downhill at the time so I was able to coast safely to a stop, but I was annoyed at Genevieve. I walked her back home and got dressed for my first interview of the day. I was on my way to my car when I got a message saying the interview would have to be rescheduled for later in the week. Since I no longer had an interview, I decided to get changed and take Genevieve to the bike store to see if she could be fixed. I got there as soon as they opened and, fortunately they were able to diagnose and treat her. The bike mechanic said the chain slipped off. I asked if there was anything I could do to make sure it didn't happen again and he told me it just happens sometimes. I probably should have asked him to show me how to fix it myself because anyone who reads this blog knows that my life is a series of mishaps and problems and that if lightning was going to strike someone twice, it would almost certainly be me.

The only thing that went according to plan today was lunch. I drained and sliced some extra firm tofu into cubes, coated it in Trader Joe's General Tsao's Stir Fry Sauce, and baked it until it had browned a little. I ate it with a sweet potato on the side. It was hearty and delicious and made me feel a little bit better about the state of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment